Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Entonces...

So no it´s been one week since staging in DC and all of the trainees are living in Cayambe at the moment. Everyday has been crazy busy...waking up at 7 and being totally booked until 5 o´clock with security briefings, language diagnostic classes, technical briefings, and basic history and culture of Ecuador. Thankfully all of the trainees are good people and we´re all having fun amid all the chaos. All of the staff are great too.
Today we found out where we will be going to live with our host families for the 2 months of training. I´m going to live in a small town called Olmeda which I know absolutely nothing about. We also got placed in our language groups based on level today. I´m living in the same town with 5 other trainees and we are in language level Avanzado Bajo. This means that based on a few interviews and diagnostic classes, my Spanish proficiency is above the required level to graduate from training! Don´t ask me how but it is a great relief. Now I can just concentrate on improving even more with my host family before I get sent to site which I still don´t know where it is. I don´t want to speculate either.
As we´ve been kept so busy in session all day, we really haven´t gotten to see much of the country but that will change on Viernes when I move in with mi familia. One really awesome thing is the fact that when I wake up in the morning and walk outside, I´m staring at a 20,000 foot volcano called Volcan Cayambe. It´s absolutely incredible. Really I couldn´t ask for a better group of prospective PCVs to be placed with either. Tommorow my agriculture group is visiting an organic farm somewhere and we´re going to start familiarizing ourselves with the local techniques and necessary vocabulary. Should be a blast. I´ll let you know how it goes. Now i think I´m going to walk around and try to find some ice cream or some cuy al carbón (the term for roasted guinea pig)...Rico! That´s it for now. I know it´s not very exciting yet but it will be. Take care all. Ciao.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks to your agricultural genius, my house plant is already sprouting!!!! See, you're totally cut out for this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen,

    I am so glad you arrived safely. I am so impressed with the Sustainable Agri. You can cmme back and share your experience with garden clubs...they'll luv you. I am so proud of you.
    Stay safe sweetie.

    Love you tons,
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete